Saturday, October 23, 2010

Welcome to the Network Monkey!

Morning!
For those who don't know me, I'm Jeff Szczerbinski.  I've made my career in the networking space.  Dial up bulletin boards in 1981 is where I started and then moved on to BSD based systems on a very early version of the Internet in 1986.  No DNS at that time..and definitely nothing graphical. But, we did have email, we did have the equivalent of blogs (Usenet) and we have even had instant messages (albeit crude c-shells scripts to send terminal messages).

Out of University it was on to Novell networking at a small Milwaukee var and then more sophisticated networking including my first Wellfleet router at a local manufacturing firm.  Working for a Chicago based reseller, I moved more into working more with routers (Wellfleet) and even my first switch (Kalpana).  Showing up at too many deals that Cisco was working on, solicited a call from a headhunter and then several years working for Cisco and then for a Cisco var.  I picked up my CCIE during this time (not to mention other preivous certs from Novell, Wellfleet, Bay, Synoptics, etc).

Then came a call again from the same headhunter and I ended up working at Polycom and then a services provider for the video conferencing industry.

Then came a fateful call from a headhunter to work at a company that I, and many others, had forgotten about, 3COM.  I didnt think much of it until the day that HP made an offer to purchase them. Accepting their offer was easy and now here I am at HP.

Sorry for the history, but I always feel that its good to share prospective.

No comments:

Post a Comment